As I have gotten older, I feel like I am getting dumber. Of course this is impossible because I am brilliant but my brain comes up short a lot more than it did when I was in my twenties. I have several theories for why this is.
- Google – Google is actually destroying my ability to retain information. We don’t need to remember things now because we can just google it and have the answer in 0.23 seconds. I remember a lot. I dare say I remember more things than most of the people I know. My brain just retains things, even unnecessary things. I remember random facts about movies, music and 16th century England. I know a little about a lot of things. Lately, I am finding it difficult to recall information I have known forever and as I struggle to remember I always hear, “Google it.” Fuck Google!
- Cellphones – Same issue except now it is phone numbers.
- Facebook – “ ” ” ” ” birthdays
- Memes – All those terrible, cliché’ memes. Okay, I love memes but what the fuck happened to finding our own inspiration… inspiring ourselves?
- Reality Television – Reality TV is terrible. It holds absolutely no value other than to illustrate that the more fake or ridiculous you are, the more famous you could be. Reality television is causing it’s audience to loss it’s perspective on life and how society actually functions. Interacting with these viewers makes me slightly dumber by association.
- Men – I don’t really think men are making me dumber (well maybe some of the ones I have dated…) I don’t think as rationally as I did when I was living in a penis free world. I feel like I let (and that is the key word) some men manipulate me and that is pretty stupid.
What are some of things you find are contributing to the dumbing down of America?